10 Things You Probably Don't Know About Me
1) When I was a young girl, I used to love to sing. I sang everywhere I could. On the swing set, walking to and from school, while delivering papers, in the car, etc. I always wanted to be a professional singer, and I definitely wanted to sing on Broadway, who doesn’t? My mother enjoyed music, so we always had music playing. Everyone in my family had good voices, but I think I was the only one who wanted to star on Broadway.
2) I love animals. Elephants are one of my favorites. We have three kitties – Willow (14 years old), Sammy (3 years old), and Oliver (2 years). I understand how some people end up with more cats than three. Each cat is so different (personality, eating habits, etc.). I cannot look at the shelter websites for animals. I would have to go in and bring home three more. My husband would not be happy. Also, I will never understand how anyone could hurt an innocent animal.
3) I really enjoy baking. We have aunts in our family who are the best bakers. Their cakes were unbelievable. I have never tasted a cake like the ones they used to bake…like butter. What I like to bake is bread. There is nothing more gratifying than mixing up and kneading the bread dough, putting it in a bowl (with the smell of yeast), and waiting and watching it grow. When it is in the pans to rise one more time before it is time to bake, it’s like Christmas to me. I’m like a little girl. I keep looking at the pans, circling around the nook, to see if it is rising. Then, when you bake homemade bread, there is nothing to compare with the smell of homemade bread baking. I just like the end result.
4) I love Christmas. I have always been a Christmas fanatic. I love the feeling that is in the air. I love the music, the hope that you feel, the movies, and, if we’re lucky, the snow. I love getting together with the family, and now that we have grandchildren, it is so much fun.
5) I LOVE a rainy day. I think I could live in an area where it rains every single day. I love everything about a rainy day. The smell that is in the air when the rain hits the hot pavement. The sound of the rain on the roof at night when you are sleeping, but I can never sleep when it is raining. I try to stay awake so I can just listen to it. I think it is such a peaceful feeling.
6) Bling, and more bling! Anything that shines, is alright with me. Also, I like lots and lots of bright colors. I like the fact that today you can put any color together. When I grew up, you wouldn’t think of putting polka-dots and stripes together, or the colors purple,orange, and lime green side by side, etc. The color combinations today are limitless, and just add in a little bling, and you are all set to go and look marvelous for the day.
7) I don’t like bugs. I don’t like lice. I don’t like fleas (we had sand fleas once at our home, and they are terribly difficult to get rid of). But more than any of those, I HATE wood ticks (even more than spiders). They have no reason to be on this earth, as far as I am concerned, and I detest them. I am an obsessed proponent of ticks. During tick season, I look under the bed and in-between the sheets before we go to bed (please don’t think I am too crazy…because one morning when I was making the bed, there was one sitting very patiently waiting for me to get inside!). If my husband is working outside, I check him for ticks before he comes into the house. Just another one of my funny little quirks.
8) I have the best husband. I really, really do! My wonderful mother-in-law only had two children (one boy and one girl), but I was always telling her that she should have had more boys. She did a great job raising her son. I was thinking of cloning him – he is that good. He didn’t leave me during my perimenopausal era, I don’t know why, because I certainly gave him a run for his money, so he won extra points for that. Of course, when you have a perfect husband, you have perfect children. That’s right…my children are perfect (I’m sure you’ve never heard anyone say that before…lol)! Then, of course, we had to have a perfect daughter-in-law (which we do), and then came along perfect grandchildren. How lucky am I?
9) One of my favorite meals is Chinese food. Sweet and sour chicken and egg rolls. Awesome!!
10) I wish we could all live together in peace. I think we should all strap on a jetpack (when they are invented), and we should all just fly high above the earth, look around at the mysteries, darkness, and violence that are out in the universe surrounding us, and then, when we look back down at our planet, we would see our home. Vulnerable, maybe. Wonderful, definitely. Maybe, just maybe, then we would say, “Oh, my gosh. We can’t lose this earth. Out here it is dark, lonely, and cold, but look at how our planet is full of light. We have to figure out a way to live together and make it work”. I pray for that.
ABOUT THE BOOK
Book Title: The New Adventures of A.R. Achnid (Revised Edition)
Author: Sandi Smith
Illustrator: Kathy Lee
Category: Children's Fiction, 126 pages
Genre: Children's Chapter Book, Animals, Bugs & Spiders
Publisher: Mindstir Media
Release date: January 3, 2017
Tour dates: June 18 to July 13, 2018
Content Rating: G
Harold! There goes that spider! See, he is running on the floor! That spider has to go. He cannot live here anymore!!! Oh, no! Beth looks very, very angry. What has A.R. Achnid done now? Well, before A.R. got into big trouble with Beth, he had a lot of wonderful adventures.
There are ten different adventures in this book. There is the time he went to the circus and rode on a balloon, and then had some shoo fly pie. Another day, A.R. and Rex (a Great Dane, who is A.R.’s best friend) decided to walk all the way into town, and they had such a wonderful time. Then, A.R. and his family went to New York City for the biggest craft fair ever (which was for spiders only), plus many, many other adventures.
Unfortunately, in the tenth story, A.R.’s current living situation is going to need an adjustment. Something changes in the lives of Harold and Beth (the humans) that will make things very difficult for A.R. Come along with A.R. for some fun, and find out what small bundle will cause problems for A.R. and his family.
As A.R. says, “Spiders rule!”
To follow the tour, please visit Sandi Smith's page on iRead Book Tours.
Buy the Book:
Watch the book trailer:
Meet the Author:
Sandi Smith spent her time as a young girl combing the shelves of the public library. She has always enjoyed the magic that books have to offer and was inspired by her high school English teacher, Mr. Coolidge to embrace the arts. The author found her calling as a writer early one morning as her first story came to her in the form of a poem. Since then she has written more than 15 children’s books, with her most popular series about the adventures of an adorable spider in the A.R. Achnid series.
Sandi is happily married to her inspiration and husband of 40 years, John. She continues to write for her two precious grandchildren. When she’s not penning a new story, Sandi and John like to camp, kayak and to enjoy the simple life in their home in Pembroke, NH.
Connect with the author: Website ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Pinterest
Enter the Giveaway!
Ends July 21, 2018