Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Across Two Novembers: A Year in the Life of a Blind Bibliophile by David L. Faucheux




INTERVIEW

What would we find under your bed?
You’d find a case of old cassette albums from the 1980s.  I hated to toss them out.  I did not instantly convert everything to CD.  I don’t have much under the bed.  I dislike having to move things to vacuum. 

Tell us about your favorite restaurant.
This is a hard one.  I like Bangkok Thai.  I mention it rather often in Across Two Novembers.  I like the food and the atmosphere.  It’s a small restaurant.  I don’t feel overwhelmed by it.  The wait staff are friendly.  I like that the food is made while you wait.  You can hear the sounds of woks being stirred from the nearby kitchen. 

Beatles or Monkees? Why?
A bit before my time, but I think I’d say Beatles because they seemed authentic.  The Monkees, while very successful, seemed a bit manufactured. 

New York or LA? Why?
New York seems a bit more serious.  It has a richer, longer history.  I think writers are appreciated more there; books are taken seriously there.  L.A. is about movies and how one looks more than how one is.  But I will say, L.A. might have a better climate, not cold like NYC is.  Couldn’t I have New York’s culture and L.A.’s climate?

Tell us about the absolute BEST fan letter you have received.
Alas, I have not been around long enough to have many fan letters.

If I came to visit early in the morning would you impress me as being more like a chirpy bird or a grumpy bear?
This would depend on my sleep schedule.  My sleep schedule can be problematic.  If I knew you were coming, I’d try to be awake, to be pleasant, to have just-made coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice, or tea and something to nibble on for you. 


Describe what it’s like to be an author in three words.
Hard, scary, unpredictable. 

ABOUT THE BOOK


Across Two Novembers: A Year in the Life of a Blind Bibliophile
by David L. Faucheux


GENRE: Memoir/Journal


BLURB:

Friends and family. Restaurants and recipes. Hobbies and history. TV programs the author loved when he could see and music he enjoys. The schools he attended and the two degrees he attained. The career that eluded him and the physical problems that challenge him. And books, books, books: over 200 of them quoted from or reviewed. All In all, an astonishing work of erudition and remembrance.




EXCERPT

Friday, October 17, 2014
A Blast from the Past

While in the waiting area at physical therapy prior to this morning’s session, I met a former coworker of mine on her way out. Just as I did, Quintina taught in the early 1990s at the Deaf Action Center (DAC). I liked working there, but it was very part–time, and I pursued other employment. The director of DAC was a great supervisor, and I wish I could have taken her with me to other employment situations. She had a genuine appreciation of her employees and was always professional and pleasant, even kind.

I have continued reading Madame Picasso.

I’m researching Louisiana’s early history. It wasn’t so great in the 18th century—no elegant riverboats and mansions, rather frontier–like.

Tonight I attended Novel Ideas on accessibleworld.org; we discussed Christina Baker Kline’s novel Orphan Train. I enjoyed the book, which dealt with the relationship between foster teen Molly and orphan train survivor Vivian Daly. Daly tells Molly of immigrating to America from Ireland in the early 1900s and being sent to Minnesota on an orphan train after her family dies in a New York City tenement fire. The novel is rather dark, as Vivian is exploited as cheap labor by several families.


Did You Know?

Speaking of reading books about Picasso and the art world, I learned while reading Color: Travels Through the Paintbox and doing research on Wikipedia that ultramarine refers to a pigment which was originally made by grinding lapis lazuli into a powder. Ultramarine was the finest and most expensive blue used by Renaissance painters. It was used for the robes of the Virgin Mary, and it symbolized holiness and humility. It remained an extremely expensive pigment until a synthetic ultramarine was invented in 1826. The best lapis lazuli is said to come from the Sar–e Sang (or Sar–i sang) mines, in the Badakhshan region of Afghanistan. The turban of the Girl with a Pearl Earring, by Vermeer, is painted with a mixture of ultramarine and lead white, with a thin glaze of pure ultramarine over it.


AUTHOR Bio and Links:

I’m pleased to take a moment to talk about myself and what makes me tick.  I’d have to say books, books, and more books.  Let me explain.  Braille and recorded books take me places and show me things I would otherwise never get to encounter.  They see for me by their descriptions, their vivid word pictures, and lyrical prose.  They befriend me when I'm lonely, educate me when I'm curious, and amuse me when I'm in a blue mood.  I have always known
I could pick up a book and for a time be in a better or at least A different place.  Books don't judge, ignore, or marginalize us.  I remember long, hot, Louisiana summers that were perfect for curling up with a good book.  I have had to struggle some nights to put the book away because I’d not be able to get up for work the next morning.  That’s being a bit too biblioholic.

I have worked as a medical transcriptionist and braille instructor.  I attended library school in the late 1990s when the Internet was starting to take off.  I ran an audio blog for several years.  I have also served on the board of a nonprofit organization that attempted to start a radio reading service in the town where I live.  Since 2006, I have reviewed audio books for Library Journal.



You might wish to view a segment about me done by a local reporter in February of this year.


Buy Links:




GIVEAWAY

David will be awarding a library edition audio book (US only) or if an international winner, a $15 Amazon/BN GC, to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.


a Rafflecopter giveaway

5 comments:

  1. congrats on the tour and thanks for the chance to win :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I'm sorry to be running a bit late today. I was preparing for an interview on www.krvs.org at 3:30 Central Time. I wanted to thank everyone for coming today. I wish you all could win. I have a question for you all and will post my answer this evening.

    What is your favorite genre and why?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I'm back after my interview.

    If you are interested, visit
    http://krvs.org/post/apres-midi-afternoon-classics-september-13-2017-david-l-faucheux

    But I wanted to answer my question about favorite genres. My favorite genre is historic fiction. There are several flavors of this genre.

    1. There is your standard long sweeping historic epic; think James Michener.

    2. There are historic mysteries; think Caleb Carr's Dark Angel.

    3. Young adult books can be historical; think anything by Scott O'Dell or the Little House series.

    4. Historic Fantasy is popular; think Diana Gabaldon's Outlander time travel series.

    Have I left out your favorite historic fiction subgenre??

    I just recently read and reviewed the audio version of Ken Follett's A Column of Fire for Library Journal. It depicts the religious turmoil of the later half of the 16th-century in England and France. It is the third in his Kingsbridge series. All are very long. John Lee reads this one well.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete