Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Exit Signs by Patrice Locke @goddessfish @patricelocke





TENS LIST

From Patrice Locke, “Exit Signs,” a romantic comedy with a soundtrack.

Ten Songs the Characters of “Exit Signs” Love

Tracy, the narrator, main character of my book “Exit Signs,” is obsessed with the music left behind by her mother. I think her mother and I share the same record/CD collection because her choices are eerily similar to mine. Each song below relates to Tracy’s lovely, twisted journey and her obsession with musician Jesse Elliot.

1. Tiny Dancer--Elton John. About 10 years ago in Albuquerque I heard Elton play this with the lyrics “Oh, how it feels so real…” rearranged to: “Oh, how it really feels, lying here…” I was incensed. I’ve never heard him play it that way since. In “Exit Signs,” Tracy doesn’t mention this song, but she would know that her mother loved it. Neither of them would approve of adjusting the lyrics!
2. All Along the Watchtower-- Jimi Hendrix. Those opening notes. The first six define an era. I’ve read that even Bob Dylan, who wrote the song, says it belongs to Hendrix. I think Jesse, the musician in “Exit Signs,” would be in love with this song, particularly this version of it because it’s full of anxiety, “There must be some kind of way out of here…” and truth, “Let us not talk falsely now.”
3. You Might Think I’m Crazy—The Cars. Staid, documentary researcher Tracy does lose her mind when she meets Jesse. “You might think I’m crazy; all I want is you.” Yes, you might.
4. Between Trains – Robbie Robertson. I don’t think it was ever released except for on the LP soundtrack of a dark little 1980 film. I heard it on YouTube. “If I’m too young to learn, or too old to change...” Tracy’s whole dilemma in the area of love can be explained by those words. 
5. Echoes of Love—The Pointer Sisters.  Most people know this as a Doobie Brothers song, if they know it at all. But the Pointer Sisters version is my favorite, especially “Recalling the times I used to hold you. I just wouldn’t do what I was supposed to.” In the opening scene of “Exit Signs” this song plays in Tracy’s head when she sees the man of her dreams, who is also the man of her nightmares.
6. Down to Zero—Joan Armatrading. This is Tracy’s theme song at the midpoint of “Exit Signs.” She’s “down to zero with a word.” It takes her quite a while to realize that she’s the one who send herself on the downward spiral.
7. Changes—David Bowie. Favorite lyric: “a million dead end streets.” Tracy thinks she’s on one of those streets. Jesse, on the other hand, has “watched the ripples change their size,” and his personal theme song is all about letting people evolve and change.
8. You Won’t See Me—Beatles. An obscure Beatle song? Yes, they exist. Tracy would think she’s the abandoned one in this song, but actually, she’s the one who continues to “refuse to even listen.”
9. Good to My Baby—Beach Boys. In “Exit Signs,” Tracy’s best friend thinks Tracy’s relationship with Jesse is doomed. Tracy, however, knows there are deep layers to their connection and they “never have to put on a show,” just like the lyrics say.
10. Dela—Johnny Clegg. Johnny is my South African hero and he always ends his concerts with this song and the plaintive cry: “I burn for you.” There’s a lot of burning in “Exit Signs,” of bridges, of hearts, of preconceived notions. Most appropriate, though, would be the line: “I’ve been waiting for you all my life.”


ABOUT THE BOOK

Exit Signs
by Patrice Locke


GENRE:   Romantic Comedy


BLURB:

Tracy Price has a documentary-style life until rockstar Jesse Elliot rewrites her script and takes the wheel to drive her crazy.

In her quest to find a writer missing since the 1930's, Tracy thinks she has discovered exactly how to handle her new relationship. But she may be listening to the wrong voice. 

Then Tracy and Jesse find out they've both been keeping some big secrets, and the truth may ruin everything.

Will sharing the missing writer's story open both their hearts?



EXCERPT



Jesse raked some strands of his blue-black hair away from his forehead. The hair fell right back onto the shoreline of his face like a wave on a beach. I thought of the cliché movie scene where the action cuts to an agitated ocean to symbolize sex. I cleared my throat, and ordered myself to get a grip.

Instead, I surprised us both by asking him my name. “Tracy Price?”

“Yes.” He confirmed my identity. “It’s nice to meet you.”

He was all-business; I was all over the place.

This was how a romance novel would begin, and, as the designated hero, he was free to relax and be two-dimensional for now. I’d provide the script because I thought I knew the genre, but I had it wrong from the start because, on second thought, he was from another planet. He had to be. And if this was science fiction, anything could happen. Aliens are tricky.

When he sat next to me I wanted to leap up and run away. Instead, I asked, “How do you like Albuquerque?” Very original, Tracy. What I wondered was, How does it feel to look like you do?

“I like it,” he said, answering both my questions. “I like it so far.”

I felt a surge of power. “I bet. And how long are you staying?” Or, more to the point, would it be too forward of me to sit on your lap?

“I can’t say yet. Maybe six weeks? This was kind of an unexpected trip.” Bingo. Both questions addressed.

This was working. Let me know when you decide about the lap thing. I covered my mouth for a fake cough to clear my head.

We were silent. I was contemplating his perfection. Maybe he was, too.




AUTHOR Bio and Links:

As a journalist, Patrice Locke wrote a lot of stories with unhappy and even tragic endings.
Facts are facts, and a writer doesn't mess with facts.

But fiction is another world. Patrice began writing novels, where she could control the endings and make them as happy as she wants. The best thing about fiction, she says, is having time to think before her characters speak, so they can say the things most of us only come up with after the perfect moment has passed.
     
She loves to write, read, and watch romantic comedies where life always turns out the way it should. Her only obsessive relationships are with semicolons and Oxford commas.
   
Though she doesn't like to brag, Patrice is an award-winning artist. She won a gold and diamond watch when she was 13 for decorating a turkey drumstick bone to look like Batman. Alas, that was her last recognition in the fine arts.
        
Patrice lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where the blue sky is brilliant, the air is thin, and the vistas are breathtaking. She is none of those things, which is one reason she enjoys living among them.
Webpage:

Author Facebook Page:

Twitter:
@patricelocke

Email:


GIVEAWAY

Patrice Locke will be awarding a $10 Amazon or Barnes and Noble GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.


a Rafflecopter giveaway

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the tour and thanks for the chance to win :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great list of songs, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to reading this book, thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the book. What is the best book that you have read recently? Thanks for the giveaway. I hope that I win. Bernie W BWallace1980(at)hotmail(d0t)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, I want pictures of your Batman turkey drum stick! Lol! Sounds awesome! Anyway, thank you so much for hosting. I can't wait to check out Exit Signs. :)

    ReplyDelete