Thursday, November 17, 2016

Behind the Bonehouse by Sally Wright @goddessfish @Sally_Wright5


TENS LIST 

What are 10 items in your bucket list?

Well, that's a little hard for me to answer. I have a nasty form of cancer that makes the future unpredictable, so I'll list first the 7 things that were on my long time bucket list that I've been given a chance to enjoy, and then list the 3 that are on it now.
- I married the man I'd wanted to marry, and we've had a very good time for 46 years, while he worked for much of that at a business I care about. 

- I got to explore England and Scotland, not only once but many times, meeting all kinds of interesting people I never would have met if I hadn't been writing books.

- I got my books published after years of being rejected.

- I was nominated for a Mystery Writers of America Edgar Alan Poe Award, which came out of the blue.

- I've gotten to watch my son and daughter grow into the kinds
     of people I always hoped they'd be.

- I was given a view of the universe that makes life meaningful to me.

- I rode my own horses for 30 years, 17 of them with the best horse for me I ever could've had.

Still -  
- I'd like to watch my three three-and-under grandchildren get a few years older.

- I hope I get more time with my husband.

- I'd like to write more books.

ABOUT THE BOOK

Behind the Bonehouse
by Sally Wright


GENRE:  mystery


BLURB:

It wasn’t until thirty years after the attacks, and the lies, and the intricately orchestrated death, that Jo Grant Munro could bring herself to describe it all in Behind The Bonehouse. Her work as an architect, and the broodmare farm she ran with her uncle, and her husband Alan’s entire future - all hung by a thread in 1964 in the complex Thoroughbred culture of bluegrass Kentucky, where rumor and gossip and the nightly news can destroy a person overnight, just like anywhere else. It was hatred in a self-obsessed soul, fermenting in an equine lab, boiling over and burning what it touched, that drove Jo and Alan to the edge of desperation while they fought through what they faced.



EXCERPT

When I was lying in the hospital three months or so ago, after the boys and their children had gone home, Alan came back and kissed my forehead, and said, “It’s time you wrote it down.” He handed me a spiral notebook. Which I set on the bedside table without saying a word.

I didn’t have to ask what he meant. Even after I’d finished writing Breeding Ground, when I wanted to tell a whole lot more of what we’ve watched here in horse country, this memory wasn’t one I could touch. And what you won’t look at festers, especially since I’d been putting off lancing it for a good many years with conscious intent.

Once I got home, and got stronger again, I got busy with every other part of my life. Till one night I dreamt about the river, and woke up sick and sweating, and it came to me, the way it always has, when I’ve made a decision in my subconscious mind, that the time had come to get it done.

It started thirty-two years ago, months before the wounding in the river, when the Woodford County Sheriff Alan and I saw as a friend stood right here on the family farm saying words that tore our lives asunder without looking us in the eye.

It’d grown out of something we’ve all had happen—lies getting told about you by someone with implacable intent. Malicious intent, in this case, because it was no misunderstanding. It was someone setting out to twist the truth toward his own perverse purpose. It was his word and deeds against ours, which has always been part of living in this world, and will be till the last of us gets over being human.

I’d just turned thirty-four when it happened, and I didn’t have the experience then to put it in perspective. I need to try now, while I still can, because the disease that’s started eating into me makes delay a kind of denial.



AUTHOR Bio and Links:



Edgar Alan Poe Award Finalist Sally Wright has studied rare books, falconry, early explorers, painting restoration, WWII Tech-Teams, the Venona Code, and much more, to write her university-archivist-ex-WWII-Ranger books about Ben Reese, who’s based on a real person.
Breeding Ground, Wright’s most recent novel, is the first in her new Jo Grant mystery series, which has to do with the horse industry in Lexington, Kentucky. Wright is now finishing the second Jo Grant novel.

Sally and her husband have two children, three young grandchildren, and a highly entertaining boxer dog, and live in the country in northwestern Ohio.


sallywright.net

@Sally_Wright5

Amazon link:



GIVEAWAY

Sally Wright will be awarding copies of several of Sally Wright's books to a randomly drawn U.S. (only) winner via rafflecopter during the tour.



a Rafflecopter giveaway



BONUS TENS LISTS For you to enjoy

Who are your 10 favorite authors?
In no order of importance:  PD James, Dick Francis, CS Lewis, Jane Austen, Leo Tolstoy, Daniel Silva, Dorothy L. Sayers, Mary Stewart, Ken Follett, Alexander Solzhenitsyn
What are your 11 favorite books?
Yikes! Impossible to do well!: Anna Karennina, Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, The First Circle, Mere Christianity, The Merlin Trilogy by Mary Stewart, The Key To Rebecca, To The Hilt, The Eye Of The Needle, Brat Farrar by Josephine Tay
 What are 11 weird things about you?
Hard to say what other folks will think is weird.
1.Our daughter is an opera singer, though her dad and I know nothing about opera. 
2. My favorite horse had to have an eye removed. 
3. I used an eye dropper to feed a boxer puppy with a hair lip (from a litter we raised) and he ended up thinking I was his mother. 
4. I have weird bones above my arches. 
5. It took me seventeen years to get published. 
6. I told my best friend my junior year in high school that I'd marry to guy who'd just moved into town and was sitting behind me in home room - and did 7 years later. 
7. We've lived in the same post-and-beam barn we built for 43 years when practically everyone we know has moved a lot. 
8. We had a possum who lived here for years who used to play with our former female boxer. The possum would play dead, the dog would pick her up gently and lay her down again. The possum would leave, then come back and do it again, three or four times in an evening while my husband and I would walk up and down the drive.  
9. The cat who was born here came when she was called, and used to sit on a ledge and watch us through the kitchen window as though we were her TV. 
10. We've had chimney swifts raising babies in our chimney every year since we moved in. 
11. I'm a Dead Head, which people who know me now find unexpected.

What 10 dead people do you wish you'd known?
- CS Lewis, Leo Tolstoy, Jane Austen, Dorothy L. Sayers, Winston Churchill, Dwight Eisenhower, Daphne Du Maurier, Dorothy Dunnett, Samuel Johnson, George Washington

What 10 things drive you crazy?
filling out forms and surveys; l
left lane bandits; 
computer menus that make no sense to me (though that could be my fault); 
seeing people in restaurants playing with their phones instead of talking to the folks they're with; 
dogs, kids and horses that haven't been trained to behave properly (that's 3!); 
computers that crash with your books; 
hotel showers with not enough hot water; 
automated telephone operators.

What 10 things do you most enjoy?
1. talking to my husband; 
2. my kids; 
3. my grandkids; 
4. reading books; 
5. listening to book cds; 
6. playing with my dog; 
7. riding horses (though I can't anymore); 
8. picking strawberries and French sorrel from my raised beds; 
9. cooking; 
10. watching DVDs of things I really love (Longford, Lives Of Others, Poirot with Suchet, etc.)

What 9 events will you never forget?
1. Meeting my husband; 
2. deciding to marry each other; 
3. being taken to meet Bob Dylan at his small house (the one hidden in the woods above the big house) in Woodstock in 1968; 
4. seeing Maggie Smith, Peter Ustinov, Alan Bates, and other excellent English actors at Stratford Festival Theater in Canada in years past; 
5. being given a contract for my first three Ben Reese mysteries; 
6. getting the phone call that told me Joe Blades at Ballantine had bought the mass market rights; 
7. getting the phone call that said I'd been nominated for a Mystery Writers of American Edgar Alan Poe Award; 
8. getting a call in Scotland from my husband here telling me our son had had a motorcycle accident (though he ended up not badly hurt); 
9. seeing the private salt marsh on Cape Cod for the first time where my husband worked on his masters in Marine Biology.



2 comments: